Monday, February 16, 2009

Trying my hand at card-making!!

I find I'm always in need of Thank-you cards, and with my parents 51st wedding anniversary coming up next week I thought I'd try my hand at card-making. Even my little girls joined me and made pretty cards for their Oma & Opa's anniversary. Here are a few of the cards I made and one that Chloe made......

To make this card I used the gorgeous Hibiscus flower crystal packet by ZVA Creativehttp://zvacreative.com/, it comes with a transfer sheet that allows you to move the image quickly and easily to your design project! I used some water colour pencils in the insides of the crystal petals and leaves and then used a lightly dampened Q-tip on the penciled area to get a watercolour look. Here are some close-ups...


Another Thank-you card I made using these pretty gold/bronze flourishes and green (center) bloom by Zva Creative......

I used a the paper tearing and inking techniques I've been using on some of my layouts and the corset stitching to make up this card. For the edges I used the Martha Stewart lace edge punch. Here are some close-ups.....



And this is an anniversary card I made for my parents upcoming 51st wedding anniversary. I found these cute glitter flourish stickers at my local dollar store. The card design was inspired by the fabulous shabby-chic style of my friend Paulien Vandenbosch http://paulienvandenbosch.blogspot.com/, she makes the most gorgeous cards you've ever seen. Here is my try at her style.....


I used some white pearl colour dimensional paint to make the 'pearls surrounding the '51' I made the circular "Happy Anniversary' tag with my Microsoft Works Word Processor. To do this you simply open a new document in word, ....along the top of the page there is a toolbar, you'll see a large blue capitol 'A' (on a tilt), click on this (it says 'insert word art'). Type the words that you want to go around your circle, for mine I typed 'happy anniversary' 3 times with 5 spaces in between. Now if you look to the top left corner you'll see a box that says 'Plain text', if you click on this a bunch of images will come up, click on the one that has a black circle outline. This will place your words into the circular format. Now if you click on the box with your circle of words you can stretch the circle to whatever size suits you by clicking your mouse pointer on the dots surround the design. Now you can print the design out on any colour or patterned paper, I used scallop edge scissors to cut mine out...here are some close-ups.....


And lastly, my daugther Chloe made up this card using some left-over kit goodies from my February My Creative Scrapbook kit.....she also used some pretty black crystal flourishes and stick-on pearls by Zva Creative.....

Here are some close-up pic's of her card (I thought she did a beautiful job of it!)....


I have to say I thought I'd never get into cardmaking but the girls and I really enjoyed making these! and what a great way to use up some left-over smaller scraps of papers and embellies!

Gabrielle xx

25 comments:

angie worthington said...

try your hand at card-making???...so, are you saying these are your very 1st cards?...these are absolutely gorgeous!!!....

Anonymous said...

Your designs are, hands down, the most beautiful I have ever seen. I come to your site every couple of days just to see what new stuff you're sharing with us. You should do a book on your techniques - I'll buy the first copy!!!

Yvonne Hagane said...

WOW, Gabrielle! I must say, your cardmaking is just as beautiful as your LO`s! They are just stunning!!
Hugs, Yvonne.

Daisy Chain said...

Hi Gabrielle.

Stunning as usual. I love the flourishes, and will definately have to try this technique. I also love the way you do the lacing on your papers. I tried it on a couple of small projects of mine and loved it.

Higs Debbie xx

Scrappin' Mama said...

Woman, you can do anything... WOW, they are gorgeous!!!

scrappingtwins said...

what a great cards you make, they are just a beautifull as yours lo

Greetings from de twins Marjan en Ella

Pia said...

WOW, I must say, your cardmaking is beautiful, supert

Susan said...

Beautiful cards, Gabi! You've really added the WOW factor to them! LOVE all the Zva Crystals!

Chloe's card is awesome too! You obviously gets your talent!

Lucy Edson said...

Beautiful cards!! And your daughters are so talented, too - like their mother!

Love the shading with the hibiscus bling!! Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

You must sell these beauties somewhere Gabrielle!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your cards turned out awesomely beautiful!
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com

Lynn Biermann said...

Woow such wonderful cards... you have taken them to a complete other level! Just beautiful!

Anna said...

Gorgeous Gabi. You blow me away with your romantic and vintage style.

Paulien van den Bosch said...

Oh my goodnessssssssss
These are so awesome!!!!!
Love them to pieces!
Your detail work is soooo gorgeous!
And I LOVE the card that your DD made.... wow.... I'm impressed by her talent!
Gorgeous work Gab's

said...

Wow Gabi, these are simply gorgeous!! I love the distressing, the colors, the blooms slightly off the edge, all the splendid details...and those dollar store flourishes rock!! You amaze me every time with your creations! And Chloe's card is stunning!! She definitely has her mommy's talent!!

Vicki said...

Gorgeous cards, Gabi! The details are amazing. And Chloe...well, the apple didn't fall far from the tree! Just beautiful!

Helena said...

Good grief, these cards are simlply stunning, I would be overjoyed to receive any of these cards, except prehaps the 50th lol!!

And wow Chloe her card is amazing too! Lock up your stash Gabi!

xxxx

Erika said...

WOW! Your cards are just breath-taking!! Love all of the bling! :o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others.. Your an amazing scrapbooker!.. and an awesome cardmaker!.. Your daughters look like they are following in your footsteps. I agree with the previous entry, where is the technique book??? Keep up the great work.

Debbie Sherman said...

Your cards are as gorgeous as your layouts!!!

phamil said...

OMG, OMG!!!! Your cards are just as gorgeous as your pages! So unique and full of your "Gabi" touches! These are stunning! You can do anything with paper! You could make a dress with paper~!!!! LOL! Beautiful work my friend!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You pages are always amazing but I've never seen you do cards -- I adore them all! Beautiful Gabbi!!!

michele said...

try no further, GF! YOu certainly rocked the cards. They are simply divine.

Debbie Dolphin said...

This is soo lovely and stunning.I wish i could get into papers more,but i tend to get much more messy making my own.My hands are normaly black when i finish.Your work is just so elegant.
debbie

card said...

Thanks for the post.You're so great in card making.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails